SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING :
Search engine marketing, (SEM), is a form of Internet marketing that seeks to promote websites by increasing their visibility in search engine result pages (SERPs) through the use of paid placement, contextual advertising, and paid inclusion. Search engine optimization (SEO) "optimizes" website content to achieve a higher ranking in search results, for example, by incorporating specific keywords or links associated with the website. Depending on the context, SEM can be an umbrella term for various means of marketing a website including SEO, or it may contrast with SEO, focusing on just paid components.
In 2008, North American advertisers spent US$13.5 billion on search engine marketing. The largest SEM vendors are Google AdWords, Yahoo! Search Marketing and Microsoft adCenter.As of 2006, SEM was growing much faster than traditional advertising and even other channels of online marketing.
Because of the complex technology, a secondary "search marketing agency" market has evolved. Some marketers have difficulty understanding the intricacies of search engine marketing and choose to rely on third party agencies to manage their search marketing.
MAJOR SEM TOOLS :
Keyword research and analysis:
- Make sure the site can be indexed in the search engines
- find the most relevant and popular key terms and phrases for the site and its products
- use those key phrases on the site in a way that will generate and convert traffic.
Website saturation and popularity:how how much presence a website has on search engines through the number of pages of the site that are indexed on each search engine (saturation) and how many times the site is linked to by other sites (popularity).
Generally, the more Web presence you have, the easier it is for people to find your site.
It requires your pages containing those keywords people are looking for and ensure that they rank high enough in search engine rankings. Most search engines include some form of link popularity in their ranking algorithms. The followings are major tools measuring various aspects of saturation and link popularity: Link Popularity, Top 10 Google Analysis, and Marketleap's Link Popularity and Search Engine Saturation.
There are three major tools used
- log file analyzing tool
- tag-based analytic programs WebSideStory's Hitbox
- transaction-based tool.
Validators check the invisible parts of websites, highlighting potential problems and many usability issues ensure your website meets W3C code standards. Try to use more than one HTML validator or spider simulator because each tests, highlights, and reports on slightly different aspects of your website.
SEM PLAN :
Through trial and error you will be able to see how SEM drives highly targeted visitors to your online exhibitions. The following are the steps to a successful SEM plan:
- Research your target audience.
- Set your online goals and key performance indicators.
- Build an initial list of important keywords that represent your current and most relevant content and potential content.
- Validate your keywords by testing and refining them with your keyword selector tools such as Yahoo Keyword Selector, Google Keyword Selector, Google Trends and Keyword Discovery.
- Check your current ranking.
- Optimise the website by improving your web design, architecture and web page content.
- Pursue link-building and partnerships.
- Colonize the Web by publishing and circulating it in wiki, blogs, and video and picture sites(e.g. Flickr and Youtube).
- Get in the news such as Google News with RSS feeds.
- Install good tracking software, and track and analyze your performance for better results.